Gongura (Sorrel leaves) – 2 lb or 1 bunch (Remove the leaves and discard the stem)
Prawns (small size) – 1 lb
Onion – 1 (minced)
Tomatoes – 1 (cut into cubes)
Green chilli – 1
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coriander leaves – 4 sprigs
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
Garam masala - ½ teaspoon
Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
Dhaniya Powder – 1 tablespoon
Tumeric – ¼ teaspoon
Salt – as required
Water – ½ cup
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds - ½ teaspoon
Red chilli – 1
- Heat a saucepan and add gongura leaves with ¼ cup of water.
- Cook gongura leaves until soft.
- Heat another saucepan and add oil.
- Add the seasoning ingredients to the heated oil.
- Add the curry leaves, onion, green chilli,ginger-garlic paste and cook until onions become translucent.
- Add tomato cubes and cook until softened. Mash the tomato with a wooden spatula.
- Add the cooked gongura to the tomato mixture along with ¼ cup of water.
- Add tumeric powder,garam masala, chilli powder, dhaniya powder to the mixture and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the prawns to the gongura gravy.
- Cook for about 5-6 minutes or until the prawns are done.
- Turn off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve the gongura royyalu curry warm with rice